Activities to do in and around Edinburgh
Edinburgh is the capital of Scotland, U.K. It is popular for its beautiful gardens and friendly pubs. Read and find out what to do in and around Edinburgh.
What to do in Edinburgh?
Edinburgh is endowed with many attractions which will keep you busy during your visit.
- The Craigmillar Castle is located on Craigmillar Castle Road in the Craigmillar Castle Park. You can admire the four-storey Tower House and its amazing architecture. Explore the inside of the Tower House and discover the arms that were once used by the Preston family. You will also learn about the fascinating history of the Craigmillar Castle.
- Hermitage of Braid and Blackford Hill Local Nature Reserve is open from Monday to Friday from 09:00 a.m. to 04:00 p.m. During the visit, you can learn the history of the Hermitage, and explore the Ice House, the Doocot and the water system which was once used within the house. The Reserve is also home to the green woodpecker, foxes, rabbits, birds and fish.
- Edinburgh Castle and the Prisoners of War Museum on Johnson Terrace Street: The site is also home to many interesting monuments, namely the Scottish National War Memorial, and five other. The entrance to the place is from King's Stables Road.
- Pentland Hills Regional Park: The 32 km range encompasses hills and mounts which are suitable for walking, horse riding, bicycling, and playing golf. The artificial slope within the park is excellent for skiing.
What to do around Edinburgh?
Around Edinburgh, you can explore many fascinating places.
- You can explore the ruins of St Nicholas Chapel in Fidra island in the Western Edinburgh. You can also relax at the panoramic beaches of Fidra island, and Broad Sands, which is near the island.
- The highlight of the visit is to explore the ruins of the Linlithgow residence, which was the birthplace of James V and his daughter.
- You can walk along Fisherrow Sands and Portobello fantastic beaches, or lie on the beaches to get a nice suntan.
- Corstorphine Hill Local Nature Reserve: The Nature Reserve is the biggest reserve in Edinburgh. It is located at Corstorphine Road, 134. It is a unique opportunity for you to engage in a safari in Edinburgh. The Reserve is home to a great deal of animal species from different parts of the world, especially monkeys, wallabies, tigers. You can even see hippos, baboons, different kinds of birds, and many other animal species in the Reserve.
- Scottish Seabird Center and Museum is located in North Berwick, in the northeastern part of Edinburgh. It is the best location for seabirds watching. It is also pleasurable to sail up to the neighboring island and sea birds.
Traveling to Edinburgh
Edinburgh is a fascinating city which is endowed with several tourist attractions. If you are interested in beach vacation, Edinburgh has wonderful beaches for you.
And if you have a passion for a safari trip, you can do so outside Edinburgh. To go to Edinburgh, book your flight and accommodation online through Opodo travel agency.
Opodo cooperates with tour operators and hotels in many parts of the world, including Edinburgh. Opodo has interesting offers to make your trip more pleasurable if you book earlier.